Many factors are contributing to growing worldwide interest in natural gas as a transportation fuel. Energy diversification and energy security benefits, reduced emissions, and fuel savings are all important reasons why the global number of natural gas vehicle population is growing at a rate of more than 15% per year. There are now more than 15 million natural gas vehicles in use in 80 different countries around the world and that number continues to grow each year.
Canada has a particularly strong position with respect to natural gas as a transportation fuel. Many leading Canadian companies are active in the supply chain for natural gas as a fuel as well as for vehicle and station equipment, components, and services. Canada was an early leader in technology innovation and codes and standards development. These strengths are now providing the foundation for a significant resurgence in the use of natural gas as a transportation fuel in Canada. Major projects that have recently been launched or announced in Canada include:
- LNG Highway Tractors
- 180 LNG tractors operating in Robert Transport fleet in Quebec and Ontario
- 50 LNG tractors operating in Vedder Transport fleet in British Columbia
- 2 LNG tractors operating in Ferus fleet in Alberta
CNG Refuse Trucks
- 20 CNG refuse trucks operating in Waste Management fleet in British Columbia
- 58 CNG refuse trucks announced for Emterra Environmental fleet in Manitoba
- 50 CNG refuse trucks announced for the EBI fleet in Québec
- 5 CNG pump trucks announced for ABC Environnement in Québec
- 55 CNG refuse trucks announced for BFI fleet in British Columbia
- 25 CNG refuse trucks announced for Waste Management fleet in Ontario
- Three LNG passenger ferries announced for St. Lawrence River use in Quebec
Natural gas has more than 60 years of history around the world as a transportation fuel. While natural gas is a fossil fuel, it can be used interchangeably with renewable natural gas produced from waste sources that has been upgraded to pipeline standards. This makes natural gas a truly sustainable option for transportation both today and in the future.